About Me

My photo
I'm a wife to a wonderful, supportive husband, Eddie ... aka “Big Dabby”, mother of three, have five grandsons, two Springer Spaniels and two Saint Bernards. I am involved at our church and volunteer for our local Relay For Life. I go to almost all the grandson's ballgames and love to spend as much time as I can watching them grow! One thing I don't do is take time for myself. Thirty years of diet after diet which have failed has resulted in the “Elephant in the Room” syndrome ... I'll just ignore it, hence, ignore me! Things are about to change!!!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A big thank you and a new year's resolution put into action!

First of all, I have to give a big shout out to all my friends and family who have been so very supportive though this journey so far. There is no way this would have been as easy as it's been without the well wishes, encouragement and support I've received from all who know and love me as well as some I've not even met, but who have seen though this blog the journey I've been on and have wished me well. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
There are times when people want to do things on their own, their own way and all that, and that's fine, although it does take a big amount of will power, I guess you could say, to travel down this road, but for me, it's not a journey that should not be traveled alone. First of all, I don't take the credit for what some may call will power, I call it God Power!! I know the Lord has given me the power (actually He was there offering it all along, I was just too stubborn to see or take the help!) to travel this road to recovery, recovery from overeating. The one person I need to thank the most, however, is my husband of 38 years, you see, when we met I weighed a mere 115 pounds ... 7 months ago, the day of surgery, I weighed 304 pounds. That's the second part of this posting .. the new year's resolution part. I made a decision before the New Year to announce, disclose, put out there, whatever you want to call it, my weight at the beginning of this journey. Why, you may ask, well, because I fell that keeping it a secret may just be a "tool" to hamper continued weight loss or to maintain the loss. You see, us "food addicts" as I tend to call myself, want and need ways or should I say excuses to start overeating again and I certainly don't want any secrets that could result in failure! So honesty is my new policy. I mean after all ... when people see me and hear that I've lost 120 pounds ... oh yeah, I've hit the 120 pound mark today!!! YEAH!! Anyway, when you hear I've lost 120 pounds and you can clearly see that my weight loss journey is not complete .. duhhh .. you can eventually do the math!! So here it is ... I started at 304 (and I'm only 5 feet 1 inch tall) and as of today I'm at 184 pounds ... the doctor wants me at 160 (I'd rather see somewhere in the 135-140 range) ... but I'll have to see how things are when I get to 160 and below ... it's been so long since I've seen those numbers, I'm not sure what to expect!
So back to the thank you part .. the part about the biggest thank you, my husband. Never did he stop loving me ... never did he "turn me down" ... never did he act any other way except with love. As I look back at photos of me, I can't imagine how I got there ... I didn't really know I was there, to be honest. But I live in reality now and from now on!! I did get there .. and I never intend to get there again!!!
So THANK YOU ... THANK YOU ... THANK YOU ... to all my family, all my friends, and all my cyber friends .. the journey continues, but not without your help, support and encouragement ... and thank goodness, for that makes it so much easier!!!

No comments: